Saturday, November 21, 2009

Off to Rio

It's been my dream since I started BJJ to travel to Rio. Wednesday I'll be leaving the snow and ice of Edmonton and heading south!

I was invited to give the keynote address at conference on violent youth being held at the Institute of Criminologie in Rio. I'll be speaking about the process through which young peoples lives become fully saturated by violence. Faculty members at the Institute have been fabulous. They have translated my paper into Portuguese and been unbelievably welcoming. I'm a little nervous about the whole thing, but I'm hopeful that the paper will be well received.

I'm also anxious about traveling to the home of BJJ. How will my skills measure up - if at all?

Despite the anxiousness I am super excited. I feel so very fortunate to have this experience and intend to make the most of the opportunity.

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to pass them along.

best,
Bryan

1 comment:

slideyfoot said...

I've got a bunch of links related to training in Brazil on the FAQ, which might be useful.