Thursday, January 7, 2010

Leaving for Rio


I left Edmonton for Rio on what I was told later is the 2nd busiest travel day of the year in the U.S.: Thanksgiving eve. My connection took me through Minneapolis and Atlanta, which were absolutely packed.

After 15 hours of travel I arrived in Rio. The warm air greeted me when I stepped off the plane. Note there was a couple of inches of snow on the ground when I left Edmonton, so the warmth was very much appreciated. Customs was very smooth, but I was more than a little disappointed when the agent informed me they no longer require proof of Yellow Fever vaccination to enter the country - at least for Rio.

I made arrangements to stay at a place in Barra before leaving with a wonderful individual and fantastic BJJ player. Dennis Asche is a blackbelt under Gordo and runs Connection Rio. Dennis arranged for one of the senior blackbelts to pick me up at the airport. The Connection Rio headquarters is located in the older part of Barra and is exceptional. It's located in a safe neighbourhood, it's close to shopping, restaurants and, most important, training! Dennis made things easy for me to stay and train. If you're heading to Rio make certain you check out Connection Rio.

Here are some of the photos from the house.

No comments: